Carol's version used her made-from-scratch pie crust, but you can use the refrigerated variety if you choose.
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese softened
- grated lemon peel to taste
- 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 whole egg separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus a bit extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 refrigerated pie crust from a 14.1 ounce box (or your own home made pie crust
- 2 cups fresh fruit (Carol's pictured above used thinly sliced Black Plums and cultivated high bush blueberries)
Mix the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, the egg yolk, and lemon peel in a medium bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix fruit, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and vanilla extract.
Roll out your pie crust to a circle of about 13 inches on a well floured surface and slip on to a pizza pan or cookie sheet. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly on the crust, leaving a 2 inch border for folding.Scatter the plum (or other fruit slices over the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle the blueberries (or other berries) evenly over the top. .
Fold the pastry crust as shown in the photo and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Slide to a cooling rack. Serve warm. Should serve six.